The app market is exploding, first on Apple & Android, now Windows 8 is triggering the same App explosion on the Microsoft platform. To make sure you get the necessary coaching and insight don’t miss the first Windows App Day. The agenda has 2 tracks, for App Development, User Experience and Design and is packed with national and international speakers. All of them actively working on Apps, design & the web and ready to share their learnings and best practices. Join us and get inspired!
- All About Apps: Windows 8, Windows Azure, Windows Phone and WebApps
- After the 100% app keynote we split into two tracks: one focused on UX, designers and web experts; a second one for developers.
- Feel free to switch tracks during the day to compose the schedule of your taste. Find detailed info on the sessions and our speakers on our Windows App Day page!
Don’t miss this first Windows App Day on November 23rd!
We get more and more questions from ISVs (we like to call them App Developers) about creating Metro apps on Windows 8 and getting these into the Windows Store. That’s great timing, as Microsoft offers quite some support at the moment to those who wish to develop a Metro App for the Store.
Maybe first lets provide an overview on how the Windows Store will help your business:
- Global reach as every Win8 machine (PC, tablet, …) will have the store installed
- Ease of updates. An update of your app has to be done only once, users will get the message an update is available and can choose to accept.
- No need for upfront investment in sales channels. Up until your app reaches the revenue bar of $25k, you’ll get 70%, after reaching $25k this becomes 80% of the sales revenue.
- Robust analytics for free (including demographics, reviews, referrals and usage & performance statistics)
It all starts with having a good idea for an App. Here’s how we can support you with the different stages after you got your idea pinpointed:
The Microsoft Imagine Cup brings together students from all over the world and asks them to use their creativity and passion for technology to help solve the world’s toughest problems. Back in May you could read that 2 of our Belgian teams made it to the finals in Sydney.
One of the teams “Make a Sign” created this amazing project that uses Kinect in combination with Azure to recognize sign language used by deaf people and learn people how to use it. Earlier this week the 3 students from HEPL in Liege met with minister-president Rudy Demotte of the Walloon region.
Press: On RTL TV news. In La Derniere Heure. In Le VIF.
So before you read/watch any further do this: go to the People’s Choice Award site and vote – and then ask your friends, family and network to vote too. Then read the rest of this post and you’ll know why you did the right thing .
This is where you can find the full project video:
Imagine Cup 2012 – Make A Sign (Project Presentation)
The word is out: on July 12 we’ll be organizing the first of our Summer App-a-thons. And it’s going to be a special, seaside app-a-thon, at the Belgian coast in Blankenberge. What could be more inspiring for building great Metro-style apps than the sound of waves crashing into the beach, ice cream and a beautiful sunset!
We’re building upon the success of the coding night at the Windows 8 Developer Day and have a hackathon to build cool Metro-style apps. So team up with your best UX or developer friend and form a killer app team, come alone or sign up with an entire group, whatever you want!
This seaside Summer App-a-thon promises to be an experience like N.O. O.T.H.E.R! Hands on. Code. Build. Shine. Totally Windows 8.
There will be 2 coding sessions: 1 for Day Birds from 10AM – 4PM and one for Night Owls from 6PM – 12AM. You have 3 registration options:
- Only the Day Birds coding session
- Only the Night Owls coding session
- Both the Day Birds and the Night Owls session
So if you’re a developer or UX designer, sign up right now to join us for an unforgettable experience!
– Bring your own laptop: any device capable of running Windows 8 and Visual Studio Express
– Required software:
Windows 8 Release Preview
Visual Studio 2012 RC
Windows 8 SDK samples
21 June 2012 (17:30 till 20:00)
@ Microsoft Zaventem
Be the first to know and catch the opportunity of Metro-style applications in Windows 8 and Windows Phone. During this session, you’ll learn more about the platform and how to talk to your customers about the business advantages of these Metro-style apps.
IDC expects 2 million Belgian devices running Windows 8 by end of 2013. Make sure you are ready to surf this wave along with Microsoft; it’s the single largest opportunity for apps & the nr 1 platform in 2013!
This is not a deep-technical session, focus is sales.
Are you interested in the new possibilities Visual Studio 11 offer, the application lifecycle management or the customer value it delivers and sales opportunities it offers? Or youre just looking for a 15 minute introduction to Visual Studio 11?
Look no further, we lined up three interesting online partner trainings for you:
Yesterday, Microsoft announced previews of new Windows Azure services that help developers build applications that connect data to users across public and private clouds, take advantage of VHDs and deploy scalable websites quickly and cheaply.
Today, Scott Guthrie will host “Meet Windows Azure” to introduce these new services. And on Monday, as part of TechEd North America and broadcast live online, Scott, along with Mark Russinovich, Quentin Clark, and Bill Staples will host “Learn Windows Azure” to provide deeper demonstration of the latest Windows Azure features and services to build, deploy, and manage applications in the cloud.
Among the highlights of the announcements made yesterday:
- Windows Azure Virtual Machines enable the moving of workloads on virtual hard disks (VHDs) between on-premises environments and the cloud. Windows Azure supports both Windows and Linux VHD images, which can be customized or chosen from a pre-populated gallery. With the commonly supported VHD format, developers and IT Pros can move existing workloads like a SQL Server database or an existing line-of-business application into Windows Azure to create greater scale, lower cost or deploy to new users. It has never been easier to move your applications to the cloud and boost them with virtually unlimited power, flexibility and reliability.
- Windows Azure Virtual Network enables the creation, extension and management of virtual private networks into Windows Azure. Organizations can now more effectively and securely extend their corporate networks into the cloud. Did you ever wish you had an extra couple of servers for running a calculation job or to deal with a peak in user demand? Now you can seamlessly add and remove computing resources to your network, as your need them.
- Windows Azure Web Sites makes building .NET, Node.js, Java and PHP web experiences easier and cheaper than ever while supporting deployment techniques like Git and FTP and framework applications like WordPress, Joomla!, DotNetNuke, Umbraco and Drupal that web developers already know and trust. Why should it be hard to setup a website that can scale with user demand, that is always up and running, regardless of the technology you’re using?
- Python support, new Tools The new Windows Azure SDK (June 2012) includes updated support for Java, PHP and .NET and adds Python support, while providing 100% command line support for developers using a Windows PC or a Mac. No matter what your development flavor is, you can build applications that take advantage of Windows Azure and all its building blocks – experience the openness and interoperability of Windows Azure.
To discover, learn and get started building applications on the Windows Azure platform, I encourage you to:
||Follow the live stream of “Meet Windows Azure” and discover the new Windows Azure services.
||Tune into Learn Windows Azure on Monday June 11 for a deeper demonstration of what’s new.
||Set up a trial account for getting free access to Windows Azure.
||Of course you want to play with these new features! How can you host your own virtual machine in Azure? What is needed to create a PHP web site using MySQL on Azure?
As of Monday June 11, the Azure Training Kit will be updated and guide you step-by-step through a series of hands-on labs.Download the tools now and get started!